Monday, January 3, 2011

Black Rock White Blend 2008

The First Wine of the New Year


So here we are again. Myself at home relaxing after a long day, and i decided to have the first wine of the new year.  I peered into our slowly dissipating wine closet, and found a wine from South Africa.  In my adventurous spirit I decided to give it a try.  The wine is a blend 55% Chenin Blanc 33% Chardonnay 11% Clairette Blanche 1% Viognier.  Most of the taste seems to be dominated by mineral flavor, which in small doses can be pleasant in wine but maybe to overpowering in this wine without making it undrinkable.  Not a bad wine, but might work better as part of a meal (for me fish with a cream sauce).

The Perils of Blind Ordering Wine


A lot of the wine that I have been trying recently has come from an order of a mixed case of 12 wines.  These were listed as staff favorites.  The wines themselves have not been bad, but the one thing i notice is that this set is totally random.  The wines are not tailored to my tastes or my interests.  Its a great starting point to learning about wines and regions I may not know about, but somethings might be better learned at local wine shop tastings.

My goal now is to partake of many of these tastings over the next year, and bring all my discoveries here to this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment