Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Chardonnay, A Story.

As reported in some length, I had dinner one night at The Parlour.  I'd like to zoom in on a descusion with Ryan, our waiter and wine host, upon the arrival of our salomn.  The dish was pared with an Unoaked Chardonnay, perfect and light with the fish, and none of that heavy oak flavor.  At that point I turned and said "But I do love a nice oaky, buttery Chardonnay."

Ryan looks at me and says. "Well you must have had a Rombauer."

I looked back with a twinge of embarrassment and said "No I have not."

Well needless to say I left with a bottle of Rombauer Vineyards Chardonnay 2009.  I bought this bottle just upon the recomandation of a man who h.eard me say a few words, and ultimately new excatly what I wanted.

Tonight I opened that bottle, and that promise of a big buttery Chardonnay was fulfilled.  It is very hard for me to try to stay impartial with this wine, so I won't.  There are some things that just taste so amazing to one individual that objectivity is completely thrown out the window.  When I uncorked the bottle, I had to hide my Connoisseur in Training workbook.  No amount of swirling, smelling, or swishing was going to take away the shear enjoyment I got from this wine.  This wine was my heaven.

As I looked out the window and toasted the passing clouds signaling the end to the Great Storm of 2010, I realized one thing, wine is to drink.  Let the "so called" professionals scrutinize the wine.  Let them put arbitrary points on wine. I just want to try and enjoy every single wine I can.  There is a story in every bottle and a soul in every sip. It is us that will discover these stories and in sharing these wines with people we know, maybe even create some stories of our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment