Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Found Wine - Blackstone Sonoma Reserve 2007 Rubric

I thought I had account of all the wine in my house.  Little did I know a long forgotten gift from some holiday past was living in my liquor cabinet.  So brought the bottle out of its inadequate cellar location.  Realizing I broke two cardinal rules of wine storage. never store a bottle upright  and keep it in a cool dry place (I don't know how cool it could be above the oven) ,  I quickly removed it from its hiding space and brought it down to cellar temperature.

After a quick meal of sweet potato fries (from a frozen package of course, nothing fancy around here), turkey chili, and  cheese.  I made a break for it and decided to open the bottle of Blackstone Sonoma Reserve Rubric 2007.  For those who have not heard of the Rubric grape, its not a surprise, it doesn't exist. This wine is a blend of grapes. To be exact its 55% Cabernet Sauvignon, 14% Malbec,
8% Cabernet Franc, 8% Petite Verdot, 7% Tannat, 5% Merlot, 3% Petite Sirah.  Did everyone catch all that? Good.  So to the wino's in the know, this is very much a red wine.  A pretty big one as i was to find out.

I pulled the cork on this surprise wine, and poured.  The aroma was very deep indeed, and one could understand the dominance of the Cabernet Sauvignon.  It sat in my glass for a minute, and then I took a smell. There were heavy wood notes and even pencil lead. The taste was of very dark fruits, lots of plum.

Very much the touch of a Sonoma red, this is an enjoyable, deep, hefty wine.  This is defiantly a red meat wine. If you like a big red this is something worth trying. 88pts

 How am i to know that the storage did any damage to the taste of the wine, I don't.  The fact that this wine tasted, pretty much how i expected makes me think I got away with my storage faux pas unscathed.

No comments:

Post a Comment